Friday, July 13, 2007

Burnt grilled cheese and an exploding squirrel

This week ended with much excitement and unusual circumstances! While nannying, Carter 7, Quinn 5, and Lela 3 keep me quite busy with their boundless energy, looking to tattle on a sibling and trying to out do each other any way possible. After a rough playing morning I got them to sit down and watch an educational video, (The Cat in the Hat, hey everyone needs Dr. Seuss!) I hoped it would keep their attention for an hour and would give me enough time to fix them lunch without them underneath my feet. I almost succeeded with only one minor mishap, I managed to burn the grilled cheese! I could say that I was distracted because the kids took my attention from the kitchen while I dissolved one of their fights, but truth is, I was opening a can of soup and accidentally had the burner on high while grilling the sandwiches. So never wanting to waste anything I grabbed a Cutco knife and sawed off the burned part. It worked pretty well until I got to the third sandwich. I discovered that by the time i had done both sides of the other two (and yes don't ask me how but after I burned one side I managed to burn the other as well, I had even turned off the burner after I flipped them! The pan does not cool that fast Jana!) the third sandwich was soggy because of sitting on the plate! The soup turned out great though, and they ate most of their sandwiches (the third was discarded), luckily the youngest child decided to dine only on pretzels and half of a PB and J for lunch.
The funny thing with the grilled cheese is that I prepare dinner for my family almost everyday. Now, I have not made grilled cheese in forever, but is that really an excuse for such poor culinary preparation?

A little later, after pulling Carter off his brother in an attempt to avoid man slaughter, I firmly placed Carter on the porch in time-out for 'effective discipline'. I went into the house where I could let him calm down and avoid the endless ridiculous explanation of how Quinn started it or made him do it (as if Quinn needs to help him get into trouble!). A few seconds later I heard a loud noise, almost like a gunshot and we lost all of the power instantly in the house. My first thought was, 'oh no what did Carter do?' followed by, 'oh my I hope he didn't kill himself', as I rushed outside. I found Carter still sitting in the chair staring at a telephone pole. As soon as he saw me he excitedly asked me if I had seen the bird fall from the telephone pole. Now it made sense! A bird got zapped. I took a trip with Carter to the designated pole only 20 feet away, but what we found was not a bird, it was much worse. Now, anyone who knows my weak stomach can imagine that this was a horrible sight for me to behold. We discovered that a small red squirrel had touched the wrong part of whatever is up there and met its untimely death. However, the squirrel was not exactly intact having lost most of its insides during the explosion, all the while a chattering 7 year old telling me about the sparks and wanting to play with the dead squirrel. I forbade the kids to touch it and to leave it be until their dad returned home later in the evening. Just thinking about the event still makes me cringe!
As you can see my day is never dull and always full of fun, adventure and excitement (or something...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm......"fun, adventure and excitement (or something)".....i like the "or something" part, i'm not sure the "fun" part is quite truthful, lol....hey, great post....i'm not sure I could handle all of that "excitement"....of course the exploding squirrel seemed kinda sweet, but not the unruly, uncatechised children.....it's a good thing you're not turned off to kids completely...yet.

Hey, have a great day off from the brats, and I'll talk to you later.....i love you

-the boyfriend